What Is Crown Lengthening, and Do You Need It?
Do you consider your smile as being “gummy”? If so, you are likely seeking a way to improve your smile’s appearance so that you feel better about not only your smile but also yourself. Crown lengthening is a treatment performed at Claire Cho DDS in Aliso Viejo, California, which can help with gummy smiles to create the room needed to support a dental restoration like a dental crown or bridge. This corrective procedure provides consistent, effective results and could be just what you are looking for.
Crown lengthening, also called gum recontouring or a gum lift, is a procedure that offers both cosmetic and restorative benefits. A gum lift reshapes your gum line for a more symmetrical appearance while increasing the visible portion of your tooth’s crown (lengthening the crown) and decreasing gum tissue coverage. This procedure is excellent if you have a gummy smile or suffer from gum disease to reduce the size of the gum pockets formed between teeth and gums.
Benefits Of a Crown Lengthening Treatment
If you elect to get a crown lengthening treatment, you could:
- Improve your smile’s appearance
- Correct an uneven gum line
- Lengthen your crown to make your teeth look longer
- Create an improved, symmetrical smile
- Boost your self-confidence
If you have been unhappy with your smile, these are all benefits you can enjoy from a gum lift. You will see and feel a remarkable difference following your treatment.
When Should You Consider a Crown Lengthening?
This treatment is not ideal for everyone or every situation. It may be an excellent option to consider if:
- You are looking to have a dental crown placed on a tooth that is short or damaged
- You have a gummy smile that you are unhappy or self-conscious about
- Your local dentist has recommended it as a course of treatment to improve your dental health