While nearly all dental technologies have rapidly changed over the course of the last decade, few things have truly revolutionized the way we provide dental care like laser dentistry. Dr. Claire Cho has invested in multiple laser technologies to treat soft tissues without scalpels or incisions, enhancing patients’ comfort and overall oral health.
What is laser dentistry?
While the concept of a laser is simple—a focused beam of light energy—its applications are wide-ranging in the field of dentistry. There are several different types of dental lasers that are designed for different purposes. At Claire Cho DDS, we are equipped with the PerioLase® MVP-7™, Deka CO2, and Diode lasers, which enable us to use scalpel-free dentistry in a broad array of soft tissue treatments. Laser dentistry offers patients many benefits, while enabling Dr. Cho to provide safer, more precise care:
- Comfort – because no scalpels are involved, treatment is much more comfortable and in many cases, anesthesia is not even required
- Faster recovery – the laser stimulates healing processes and regeneration within the tissues, and without sutures and incisions, recovery is more rapid
- Precision – Dr. Cho can make more precise movements with the laser than a scalpel allows, enabling her to provide better quality care that preserves more healthy tissue
- Little to no bleeding – the laser cauterizes as it treats the tissues, reducing bleeding and discomfort
- Reduced chance of infection – the laser sterilizes the treatment area, reducing the chances of post-treatment infection
Treatments in which laser dentistry is used
Because of its many benefits, Dr. Cho incorporates laser dentistry into a variety of treatments, including:
- Gum disease therapy: with LANAP laser gum disease treatment, we can eliminate the disease-causing bacteria and diseased tissues from your gums, as well as built-up plaque and tartar—all without harming the neighboring healthy gum tissues
- Gingivectomy: If you have a “gummy” smile or need to have your gums reshaped to enable Dr. Cho to access an area of decay or to place a dental crown, a laser can be used to perform this treatment comfortably
- Frenectomy: Tongue ties and lip ties can restrict movement of the tongue or upper lip; with a gentle, fast laser procedure, these folds can be removed
- Peri-implantitis: If you are experiencing buildup, inflammation, or infection around a dental implant, laser dentistry can be used to remove the built-up bacteria and preserve both your bone and implant
- Distal wedge: If your soft tissues are covering a tooth or you are experiencing gum disease, we can use laser dentistry to remove the necessary tissue to improve your oral health
Laser dentistry is just one of the many advanced treatment techniques used at Claire Cho DDS. Dr. Claire Cho and our entire team are devoted to providing you with state-of-the-art care with a gentle, personalized touch. Call our Aliso Viejo, CA office today at (949) 541-2529!