Chances are, if you have lost one or more teeth due to injury, decay, or extraction, you have heard of dental implants and may be wondering if they are a good option for you. At the dental practice of Claire Cho, D.D.S., we love helping Aliso Viejo, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Laguna Woods, or other neighboring CA area patients feel confident about their treatment choices – after all, choosing a tooth replacement is an important investment in your future oral health! Read on to learn about the dental implant steps and what to expect from our dental implant process.
Your initial appointment
Dental implants are popular type of dental restoration, and are often called the “gold standard” in tooth replacement. It is therefore natural for many patients to be interested in getting dental implants placed, but there are several factors that go into designing a treatment plan that is tailored to each patient’s individual needs. We have a thorough evaluation and consultation process that we undergo with each patient so they know that they are making the best choice for their individual oral health, budget, and treatment preferences.
In your first appointment, we will:
- Perform an in-depth examination of your gums, teeth, and bone to determine whether treatments such as bone grafting or periodontal disease therapy are necessary prior to your implant placement
- Talk with you about your medical history, current oral hygiene routine, treatment preferences, and lifestyle factors such as smoking that may affect your chances of success with dental implants
- Take x-rays and/or a CT scan of your mouth, which are used to precisely plan your treatment and create custom surgical guides that will be used during your implant surgery
- Discuss the treatment plan options that Dr. Cho recommends for your unique needs based on all of the factors above, such as traditional dental implants, implant-supported dentures, or All-on-4 dentures, and answer any questions you may have about your choices
- Create a financial plan that factors in any insurance benefits you may have to help you fit your treatment into your budget
The treatment process
Getting dental implants is a multi-step process that takes a few months from start to finish, but patients find that the end result is well worth the wait. On the day of your surgery, we will perform any necessary procedures such as extractions or bone grafting to help prepare your jaw for the implants. Then, we will use our custom-designed surgical guides to place the dental implants into your jaw bone – multiple implants can be placed in one day, as needed.
After your implants are placed, it takes about three to six months for them to completely heal. During this time, they undergo a process called osseointegration where the implants fuse with your jawbone to form a strong, sturdy foundation for your new teeth. After this process is complete, we will place your permanent restoration – typically a custom-designed porcelain crown.
If you are ready to experience the benefits of dental implants, call the dental practice of Claire Cho, D.D.S. today at (949) 541-2529 to get started with your initial consultation!