Gum recession causes - Aliso Viejo, CA
Some of the common causes of receding gums include:
- Gum disease
- This bacterial infection can destroy the gum tissue and bone, which can lead to gum recession.
- More than a third of adults are genetically predisposed to having gum disease and therefore receding gums.
- Tooth brushing habits
- Using the wrong tooth brushing technique can wear down the gums.
- Poor dental care
- If you are not maintaining regular dental visits, you could increase your risk of developing gum disease.
- Changing hormone levels can negatively affect the gum tissues.
- Tobacco products
- Smoking and chewing tobacco can contribute to gum recession.
- Clenching and grinding the teeth places strain on certain areas of the mouth and can cause the gums to recede.
- Bite misalignment
- Much like bruxism, crooked or misaligned teeth can put stress on certain areas of the mouth, resulting in gum recession.
- Body jewelry
- Lip and tongue piercings can lead to recession, especially in areas of constant contact.
- Orthodontic treatment
- Shifting teeth and dental appliances can affect the gum tissue and at times cause recession.
While gum disease may be the primary cause, several other factors can contribute to receding gum tissues. If you notice any signs or symptoms of gum recession, schedule your appointment with Dr. Cho in Aliso Viejo, CA as soon as possible.